Module 9 - Course Reflection - Selena Jammaz

While we covered a variety of topics in this course, there were two big themes that stood out to me in particular, with the first being Identity, Representation & #Selfies. 




Growing up with Instagram (the birth mother of selfies) has conditioned me to simply think of selfies as virtual artifacts that we post when we think we look good. Surface level, I know. However, the module’s readings helped expand my perspective about selfies to one which encompasses the self portrait. The O’Hagan & Spilioti (2021) reading about the selfie’s evolution from Edwardian times was an interesting contextualization of humans’ inclination towards solidifying their identities through physical representations of themselves. Dr. Laccetti’s introductory audio nicely complements this reading because it speaks of the gradual transference of power from those creating the self portraits (ex. painters) to the person being portrayed as technology advanced. Suddenly, I can’t bring myself to post a selfie “just because” or view other people’s selfies at surface level knowing that there is true intent behind everything we post. Actually, I now consider any type of content about our thoughts, values, beliefs and experiences as visual representations of who we are, from story reposts of quotes that resonate with us to videos of trips we’ve been on, because they’re all being shared from our perspectives. (In advertising terms, they become a “moodboard” of who we are). 




However, this raises an ethical concern regarding those who abuse social media to portray inaccurate representations of themselves because “the gram” loves the aesthetic. What could this mean for society at large if its individuals are becoming more distanced from their authentic selves as a result of the digital tools we now have at our fingertips? This topic was drawn to my attention through the feedback I received on my first selfie assignment, and which I continue to contemplate. 

All in all, the readings have reignited my love for social media because of its ability to amplify the voices of minorities who’re misrepresented by mainstream media.  

 

 

The technobiophilia concept is also one that I often think about.



Being tied to my computer since 2020 (AKA the beginnings of COVID) has made technology an intrinsic part of my life, from work, to studies to leisure time. And while I don’t view technology as a vehicle that can bring us closer to nature because of how disconnected I feel from my natural environment, technobiophilia has encouraged me to reassess how I should allocate my time between using tech, spending time in nature and interacting with other humans. 


On a societal level, I worry about how tech, such as augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR) and AI are blurring the lines between the digital and physical worlds. As a self-proclaimed storyteller, I recognize the tremendous value that these types of technologies can yield for us. For example, the The Glimpse Group is a company that uses AR and VR technology in a variety of fields, including education, whereby children's books are brought to life and virtual field trips become engaging learning experiences. When it comes to the creative realm, the AI platform Influential discussed in Kramer (2021)’s article is every marketer’s dream because it can match brands with the most relevant influencers. But the thought that I can't shake is whether our over reliance on tech will eventually contribute to the deterioration of the human-nature relationship. And if so, what can we do about it now?

 

There are so many other readings that have stuck in my brain for reasons that are both fascinating and worrying. Those, and the multimodal approach that this course has promoted, leaves me with a rigor to keep up with the latest New Media developments and the conversations that preempt potential societal harms and how to mitigate them. These are discussions I’d like to share with my work colleagues, especially with new tech developments happening in the creative field.  As for myself, I’d like to strengthen my relationship with technology to leverage the good that can come of it, such as amplifying minority voices and finding innovative ways to bring storytelling to life, while ensuring harm is minimized by staying updated on potential implications. 

 

Thank you Dr. Laccetti for crafting a unique and engaging course.

 

______________________________________________

References


Kramer, B. (2021, November 1). The Future of Human Experience is Narrative Input. Bryan Kramer. https://bryankramer.com/the-future-of-human-experience-is-narrative-input/

 

O'Hagan, L. A., & Spilioti, T. (2021). The Edwardian selfies: A transhistorical approach to celebrity culture and pictorial bookplates. Discourse, Context & Media43, 100522.

 

Comments